You can apply to get payments from your energy supplier if you generate your own electricity, eg with solar panels or a wind turbine. This is called a ‘feed-in tariff’ (FIT).
How the scheme works
- the size of your system
- what technology you install
- when your system was installed
- how energy efficient your home is
If you export energy back to your supplier, at the time of writing of this topic (October 2017), you will also receive 4.85p per unit of electricity exported.
Return on Investment
The Energy Saving Trust has calculators which can help you determine ROI
- solar energy calculator if you want to install solar panels
- cashback calculator if you’re considering installing wind turbines, hydroelectricity or micro combined heat and power systems
How do I apply
Contact the installer companies (you need to have your installation installed by certified organisation) or an electricity supplier for more information.