Feed-in tariffs

Topic Progress:

You can apply to get payments from your energy supplier if you generate your own electricity, eg with solar panels or a wind turbine. This is called a ‘feed-in tariff’ (FIT).

How the scheme works

If your application is successful, you will get a set amount for each unit (kilowatt hour or kWh) of electricity you generate – a ‘generation tariff’. The rates vary depending on:

  • the size of your system
  • what technology you install
  • when your system was installed
  • how energy efficient your home is

If you export energy back to your supplier, at the time of writing of this topic (October 2017), you will also receive 4.85p per unit of electricity exported.

Return on Investment

The Energy Saving Trust has calculators which can help you determine ROI

How do I apply

Contact the installer companies (you need to have your installation installed by certified organisation) or an electricity supplier for more information.

Sign up to our mailing list

By submitting this form, you are agreeing to receive emails from Electacourse. You can unsubscribe at any time.