The Scope of the regulations apply to the design, erection and verification of electrical installations, such as those of:
- Residential premises
- Commercial premises
- Public premises
- Industrial premises
- Agricultural and horticultural premises
- Prefabricated buildings
- Caravans, caravan parks, and similar sites
- Construction sites, exhibitions, shows, fairgrounds and other Installations for temporary purposes
- External lighting and similar installations
- Mobile or transportable units
- Photovoltaic systems
- Low Voltage generating sets
- Highway equipment and street furniture
- Medical locations
- Operating and maintenance gangways
- Temporary installations for structures, amusement devices and booths at fairgrounds, amusement parks and circuses including professional stage and broadcast applications
- Floor and ceiling heating systems
- Onshore units of electrical shore connections for inland navigation vessels (new for 18th Edition)
In addition to these In-scope items the following are also included:
110.1.2 Additional requirements are included in the regulations for:
- Circuits supplied at nominal voltages up to and including
1000 VAC or 1500 VDC; for AC, the preferred frequencies, which are taken into account in this Standard are 50 Hz, 60 Hz and 400 Hz.
The use of other frequencies for special purposes is not excluded:
- Circuits, other than the internal wiring of apparatus, operating at voltages exceeding 1000V and derived from an installation having a voltage not exceeding 1000 VAC. e.g. Discharge lighting.
- Wiring systems and cables not specifically covered by the standards for appliances
- All consumer installations external to buildings
- Fixed wiring for information and communication technology, signalling, control and the like
- Additions and alterations to installations and parts of the existing installation affected by an addition or alteration.
The Regulations are intended to be applied to electrical installations generally but, in certain cases, they may need to be supplemented by the requirements or recommendations of other British or Harmonized Standards or by the requirements of the person ordering the work.
Some examples are: Electric signs and high voltage luminous discharge tube installations, Emergency lighting and Explosive atmospheres. Refer to 110.1.3 for the complete list