Posted on

What is Part P

Local Authority Building Control

Part P is the section of the Building Regulations of England (not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland) which relates to the design, installation, inspection, testing and certification of electrical work associated with dwellings (domestic properties) operating at low or extra low voltage (below 230V).

How is Part P administered?

Approved Document P requires that certain domestic electrical installation works need to be notified to the Local Authority Building Control.

Notification to Building Control of electrical work undertaken by a contractor or by the householder themselves,  applying directly to their local authority. This is can be a time consuming and costly process both for the householder and the contractor. It is not commercially viable for an electrical contractor to operate in this way.

A number of organisations operate schemes which will notify the authorities on the householder’s behalf. These schemes are known as self-certification schemes. Access to these schemes are limited to firms, contractors and individuals who can demonstrate skills, experience and competency in domestic electrical installation.

Self-certification Scheme providers

The Government has approved electrical self-certification schemes to be operated by:


Electrical Trade Bodies


APHC (Plumbing and Heating Contractors) can certify electrical work only as an adjunct to or in connection with the primary activity of plumbing, heating etc.

Self-Certification Assessment

All of the self-certification scheme providers have different requirements, processes, methods and costs of assessment. You can take the links from the bullets above to each of the providers’ websites. They all share a common approach.

Assessment Day – Office review

On assessment day, the assessor will visit your office and examine your business documents and process

You may expect the assessor to review:


It is necessary to check with each scheme provider which qualifications they require; each scheme provider has different requirements (Benchmark requirements detailed previously). A minimum requirement for some providers can be 17th Edition City & Guilds 2382-15 (see Electacourse 17th Edition Course), it may also be required that Part P Assessment candidates can demonstrate qualifications as well as experience in inspection and testing (2394/2395 – previously 2392/2391).


Most recent version of Building Regulations, not just Part P, but all other documents which apply to electrical installations.

  • Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, BS 7671:2008+A3:2015
  • On-Site Guide (BS 7671:2008+A3:2015)
  • Health and Safety at Work Act Documentation
  • Risk Assessment Policy and completed documents
  • Complaints Procedure
  • Details of completed and outstanding works
  • Completed Domestic Electrical Installation Certificates


  • Working test equipment – and a demonstration of your ability to use them
  • Up to date maintenance and calibration reports


Evidence of public liability insurance for a minimum £2M.

Links below will take you to catalogue pages. Use menu or browser back button to navigate back to this page.

[insert-products catalogue_url=”” catalogue_id=5]

3 thoughts on “What is Part P

  1. Concidering a Part P course but you say there’s no Part P in Wales? I was aware there are differences, so this confuses me.

    1. We did not mean to imply there is no Part P for Wales. What we want to communicate is that the Part P material which Electacourse publish is based specifically on Part P for England.

      The Part P for Wales started out exactly the same as Part P for England, but responsibility for Part P for Wales is no longer owned by Westminster, it is a responsibility of the Welsh Government. The Welsh Government have not adopted some of the recent changes made in Part P for England – in particular, as you point out, types of work which are still notifiable in Wales and not in England.

      Our Part P material lists all the differences between Part P England and Wales, but at this stage we do not guarantee that going forward we can keep up with Welsh changes. Electrical Safety First has details of specifically Welsh building regs.

      1. Thanks for the prompt reply.
        Implication. ….doesn’t read as such. Perhaps some of the detail of your reply should be inserted to make it clearer.

        So are there any implications for me, working in Cardiff, if I was to study your Part P course?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *